Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Walking Dead: The Game Episode 1 Review


I’m going to be honest; I fell out of love with The Walking Dead TV show on AMC midway through the second season. I loved season one for its interesting take on a zombie apocalypse and that it focused on the characters. Then I started watching season 2 this fall and it just didn’t grow at all. It was tedious, slow and, worst of all, it bored me for a while until I stopped tuning in on Sunday nights. From what I hear it has got much better and the end of season 2 makes up for the slow beginning and middle of the season, but that never swayed me to go back to the series.
When it comes to the comic, I have read the first two trade volumes (issues 1-12) which I liked. But the rising price of comics has kept me from delving into the series (that has changed though as I found The Walking Dead compendium #1 which collects issues 1-48 for a very reasonable price and it is now on the way). So going into the game I had a decent idea of what I was getting into, zombie apocalypse and what it does to humanity, and that was a good enough set up for me.

The story revolves around a man named Lee Everett, who may or may not be a murderer. While being taken to a prison outside of Atlanta, the cop car that Lee is in gets into an accident and all hell breaks loose. Lee must fight off the undead and find safety. In his search for a place to hide Lee finds a young girl named Clementine all alone in a tree house. Lee becomes a surrogate father to clementine, protecting her from the undead and taking care of her whenever she needs. Well that’s not entirely true. In the game that I played Lee was a protector of Clementine and did everything is his power to keep her safe. Your game may be very different due to The Walking Dead’s many branching paths that influence the game’s story. From time to time a little window on the top left of the screen will pop up that tells you how a character has reacted to something you said or did (This can be turned off though if you want your actions to be more ambiguous)or a decision that you had to make. For example, while talking to a character named Kenny, if you ask him about his family and how they are doing a box will pop up and say “Kenny noticed your interest in his family.” Little moments like these build the story as your own and affect how the other characters react during certain situations.
This scene is incredible!
Getting to the gameplay, The Walking Dead plays like a classic adventure game. Walk around, click on items to interact with them, talk to people and learn more about the people and the world. It works very well and worked at immersing me completely into this world. There are also portions of the game where quick reactions are needed (I played it on a PC but it is also available on PSN and Xbox Live). These moments are particularly intense. One that really hit me was a moment very early on in the game when Lee is in a house talking to Clementine on a walkie-talkie. He is attacked from behind by a zombie (known as walkers in The Walking Dead universe). The game prompted me to mash a button to get her off me. After that I had to keep pushing her off until I found a hammer, which I had to use to bash her head in. It was one of the most brutal and visceral moments I have ever experienced in a game and I won’t soon forget it. With all of that said the controls were a bit clunky at times and sometimes the mouse wouldn’t move exactly where I wanted.  All in all though, it worked well enough and never did spoil the experience I had with the game.
Now let’s get to the game’s presentation. While the game doesn’t boast the best graphics I have ever seen, it makes up for that with an awesome cel-shaded style.  It looks like it was pulled right from the pages of comic, except in color (the comic is in black and white). The backgrounds have think black lines that outline them; the characters have a comic book look to them and it works very well with the overall tone of the game. The sound design is in the game is fantastic and really sets an amazing mood. The music works well to set the tone of every scene, quieting down when needed and getting particularly intense at points (like the one I described above).
I loved this game. It was one of the best experiences I have had playing a game. Not since I played Half Life 2 and its subsequent episodes that I have cared about a character in a videogame like I care about Clementine. When I’m playing I feel the compelled to protect this little girl at all cost. I’m worried about her well-being; I want her to be happy and fed. I have always liked games in which the characters are well developed and I care about them. This game does it to an amazing degree and has moved into being one of my favorite games of all time because of this. I have played the next episode and it keeps this going and if the final three episodes can do what the first to did for me emotionally, well I think I might have found my favorite game of 2012.
Recommendation: If you like games for their story then PLAY IT

No comments:

Post a Comment